Several years ago, when I first discovered quinoa, I was looking for a tasty recipe to make with it. I found this one, and it was just what I was looking for – and so flavorful! I’ve been making this for many years now, and it’s always a hit at parties & potlucks – it’s a great side dish or even a vegetarian main course, and it tastes great cold or at room temperature! Enjoy!
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes
from Women’s Health
makes 4 servings
1/2 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canned black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
juice of one lime
2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place quinoa in a small-mesh sieve and rinse thoroughly.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet (be sure you have a tight-fitting lid for the skillet).
3. Add sweet potato, scallion, and chile and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
5. Add water and salt.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cover. Simmer until quinoa and sweet potato are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
7. If liquid remains unabsorbed in the pan, raise heat to high and cook for 2 minutes until it boils off.
8. Stir in black beans and lime juice and cilantro.
9. Serve warm or chilled.
Total Fat: 5.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 297.7 mg
Total Carbs: 32.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.4 g
Protein: 6.5 g