I was looking for something different to make for breakfast last weekend. As I was looking through recipes, I found this one from the Weight Watchers website, and it looked really good. So – I thought – why not? That morning, John was still sleeping, so I had time to work on making these muffins. By the time he woke up, these were baking in the oven, and he was surprised with a fun breakfast of freshly-baked muffins. These were *really* tasty, and I can’t wait to make them again! Enjoy!
Glazed Carrot Cake Muffins
From WW website
makes 12 muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour (I use Ultragrain all-purpose)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1 cup light unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup uncooked carrot, finely grated
1 1/2 oz Neufchatel cheese, softened
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp light unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 tsp orange zest, grated
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners (or coat muffin pan with cooking spray).
2. In a large bowl, combine both types flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, 1 c coconut milk, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until blended; stir in carrots.
4. Stir carrot mixture into flour mixture just until blended.
5. Divide batter among prepared muffin-pan cups (a rounded 1/4 cup in each). Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of each muffin comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, to make glaze, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tsp coconut milk and orange zest in a small bowl until smooth; spread glaze evenly on tops of cooled muffins.
Total Fat: 6.4 g
Saturated Fat: 2.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol: 18.2 mg
Sodium: 216.9 mg
Potassium: 55.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 21.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
Sugars: 7.6 g
Protein: 3.6 g