I love buying fresh corn at this time of year, when it’s *everywhere* and super sweet. My only problem is that I often run out of things to do with it. I like to grill whole ears, and I like to cut it off the cob and saute it or put it in salads and side dishes. But I’m always looking for something new to do with corn. This is a fun new way to use corn – make it into little cakes topped with a homemade salsa! These were fantastic! We served them as a side dish, but you could easily make a meal out of these, too. Enjoy!
Fresh Corn Cakes with Summer Salsa
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light, Aug 2016
Serves 8 (as a side dish)
3/4 ounces whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plain yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 cup fat-free sour cream (I use Lilly brand or Trader Joe’s brand)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
2 tablespoons minced jalapeño (or fresh cayenne pepper)
1/2 cup diced yellow squash
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 medium tomato, chopped
1. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
2. Combine sour cream, eggs, and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Add sour cream mixture, corn, and jalapeño to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
3. Spray a large nonstick griddle or skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium high heat.
4. Divide corn mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/3 cup each); shape into patties. Add patties to griddle; cook 6 minutes on each side.
5. Combine squash, green onions, basil, vinegar, tomato, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; toss. Top corn cakes evenly with salsa.
Total Fat: 3.8 g
Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.9 g
Cholesterol: 48.5 mg
Sodium: 264.1 mg
Potassium: 176.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 21.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
Sugars: 2.2 g
Protein: 7.8 g