I made this the other day, and completely forgot to post it! We had it alongside the Marinated Tri-tip with Mushrooms & Garlic, in case you were wondering. It worked well as a side with those flavors, but I’m sure it would work with many other grilled dishes as well.
Now, radicchio is NOT one of my favorite vegetables, but we received it in one of our Greenling baskets, so I decided there MUST be a tasty way to prepare it, right? So, I searched the internet, and I stumbled across this recipe from Michael Chiarello. The reviews were good and mentioned that the ice-water soaking helped remove some of the bitterness, so I gave it a try. I’m happy to report that both John and I really liked this recipe – and it was even better the next day (reheated), after it had absorbed even more of the marinade. Maybe this recipe will turn you into a radicchio convert too!
Here’s what we did:
Perfectly Grilled Radicchio
Adapted from Food Network, recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
1 head radicchio
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 oz mozzarella, cut into 4 slices
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Cut the radicchio in quarters lengthwise, being sure to keep some of the stem attached to each quarter. Trim off any dark bits of stem. Submerge the radicchio quarters in ice water for 1-3 hours to remove some bitterness. Put a plate on top of the radicchio to keep them under water.
3. Prepare a hot fire in your grill, or turn on your broiler.
4. Drain the radicchio and place them on paper towels to absorb remaining water. Open up the leaves and spoon the olive oil mixture inside. Place the radicchio quarters on a baking sheet and pour the remaining marinade mixture. Season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Grill (or broil) the radicchio until browned on the outside but still raw in the center, 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Be careful, as the oil mixture may flame up.
6. When the radicchio begins to brown, pull from the grill, open up a section of each portion and place a slice of mozzarella
inside (or tear into pieces and place in a few areas for each raddichio quarter. Place quarters back onto the sheet pan and place the pan directly on the grill for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
7. Drizzle any leftover dressing over the top of the grilled radicchio and serve warm.
**Note** If making radicchio in advance: Before the party, have the radicchio drained and marinated in the vinaigrette in the
Total Fat: 11.8 g
Cholesterol: 26.9 mg
Sodium: 272.7 mg
Total Carbs: 4.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 8.4 g