When zucchini are in season, this is one of my favorite (and easy!) recipes to make. I always have pasta on-hand, and almost always have chickpeas, so all I need are zucchini! Enjoy!
Linguine with Zucchini and Chickpeas
Adapted from Real Simple, Aug 2009
8 oz dry whole wheat linguine
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 small zucchini, cut into thin half-moons (about 2 cups)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
15 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained (or use 1 1/2 cup home-cooked chickpeas)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 oz finely grated parmesan
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water, drain, and return the pasta to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and salt.
3. Cook the zucchini, tossing often, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas, garlic, and red pepper and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Toss the pasta with the reserved pasta water and 1/2 of the Parmesan.
6. Divide the pasta among bowls and top with the zucchini mixture and the remaining Parmesan.
Total Fat: 8.1 g
Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 4.3 g
Cholesterol: 5.6 mg
Sodium: 544.0 mg
Potassium: 606.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 65.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 10.3 g
Sugars: 3.5 g
Protein: 15.1 g